Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Waiting

We all spend so much time waiting. Either we are waiting in a line with others, we are waiting on our couch at home, or waiting for much longer for something unknown....

What are you waiting for?

Every little girl dreams of being all grown up, we want to be moms, nurses, doctors, dancers, artists, singers, architects, builders, veterinarians, or whatever else is on our hearts. We watch all these beautiful disney movies that make us dream of a knight in shining armor coming along some day to save us and be our prince charming. We always dream about all the things life could be...

Are you still waiting for that?

Every little boy dreams of growing up and being just like his dad, older brother or mentor. He dreams of being the man, the provider, the one everyone he loves can lean on. He wants to be successful and productive. He wants to have a beautiful woman beside him, be able to travel the world and have many accomplishments. He is the fireman, the police man, the super hero, the artist, the musician, the doctor, the father, the husband, or whatever else he may dream of....

Are you still waiting for that?

Sometimes I think about what I imagined life would be like when I was 4 or 5. I think about who or what I wanted to be and all the big dreams I had. Then I check back into reality and see how far I am from that and how my views, dreams, and desires have changes over the years.

It's not about being famous or making more money than anyone else. It's not about measuring success on the dollar amount in the bank account or the size house or model car I am driving.

I have always measured success differently than most. I have waited a long time for it and I know that it will come. I have measured success by how many people call me friend and vise versa. I have measured it by how many times I can turn someone's frown into a giant smile. Make someone laugh or encourage someone. I know people who measure by the time spent with family or number of stamps in the passport. Ensuring a vacation happens every year and giving their significant other some time off from responsibility.

I have been waiting for the day that I was able to sit back, relax, and really enjoy time with family. A time away and much needed time for rejuvenation and renewal. I have been waiting for the day that I was able to rest and know that life was good and I was good and things were taken care of and always would be. I have been waiting for the day that I could possibly have a family of my own and a man to support us.

I know that these things are not measured success by society. I have a good career, a good salary, I am working on my degree and will finish in December. I am a writer who published a raw book and is working on a second. I am also successful in the eyes of society in some ways, but that is not what is most important to me.

Recently I have seen a wave of women empowerment music videos or commercials. If you have not seen them, I encourage you to check them out.
Colbie Caillat - Try
John Legend - You & I 
"Like a Girl" commercial by Always


I am loving it! I have been waiting a long time to really see society become aware of this! I have been waiting a long time for women to be noticed as beautiful. For someone other than my father to tell me I am beautiful on the inside and the outside I don't have to try so hard at. That I will be loved even if I don't straighten my hair or put a face of make-up on. That I am a girl and I should do everything like a girl because there is power in that!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is someone out there that thinks everyone is beautiful.You were created, uniquely woven together in your mothers womb. You were meant to be this way, look this way, feel this way. There is a reason and purpose for everything.

I cannot even express enough excitement in these words I am writing here because there is too much streaming from me that I cannot harness it. I watch these and I get goose bumps. I want to shout hoorays and cry at the same time. It has been far too long waiting for a movement like this and I hope it does not stop here.

What are you waiting for? What has not happened in your life or those around you that you are waiting on?
Don't loose hope, be realistic, make sure it is attainable, and continue shooting for it!


Don't be cookie cutter. Keep waiting!
Don't sacrifice your morals and values. Keep waiting!
Don't succumb to the views society has. Keep waiting!

You will find it or it will find you! If it is in God's plan... he will ensure that it happens.

There may be things that you wait on for a long time. There may be things you wait on forever that never come. There may be things that you wait on for a second and realize you should not be waiting on them at all. Just have faith that whatever you are waiting on is in God's plan or he will tell you otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment