Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Playlist

It's been a long time since i had a mix tape or cd. I remember when I was younger and I would pop a tape in the stereo and record my favorite songs off the radio. Haha - this is totally bad but that was before all this sharing, burning, copyright mumbo jumbo started. That was when cds were starting to become popular and I think I got a walkman for Christmas, but was upset because I couldn't record songs on it... I have made a few playlists in my life, some for other people to give away and some for the people I care about. I have never gotten a playlist or a mix tape before. It takes a lot of time and effort into creating one and just the thoughtfulness alone is remarkable.

Have you ever considered making a playlist for your life? What would it look like? Sound like? What would the sequence of the songs be? How would you decide what parts of your life to share? What would you put down for the world to hear and what would you leave out? What lyrics mean the most and what phrases do you want to stick out? 

I have a playlist on a cd playing in my car. There is at least one phrase that jumps out at me in every song. There are parts to the music that I cannot even describe - but they make me feel good. How is it that music can move you? How is it that something as little as a one line lyric can become something bigger than you may live by. 

Sometimes it's hard for us to express how we are feeling in a moment, how someone else makes us feel, or what we want out of life. Sometimes it's easier to use someone else's words. When you hear a song and it expresses how you feel - the lyrics as a whole or just one line take the words straight from your lips - a playlist is perfect. 

If I had to describe my life in a playlist there would be ups and downs - distinct artists and sounds. There would be sad songs, happy songs, love songs, angry songs. But I don't think anyone's playlist would be much different than that. We all go through life trying to be so elusive of who we are and what we are going through. We don't want anyone to know what's going on because we want privacy, security, or something else. The thing is - you are no different than I and I am no different than you. Our stories may be different but at some point in our lives we have all been at the same roadblocks, paths in the road, and in the same sinkholes. 

What gives you comfort? What brings you from that dark emotional or angry place into a happier more satisfying place? What puts a smile on your face and what gives you goosebumps or butterflies? 

For me - its music. I cannot explain it. All I know and always have known is that I feel this deeper connection to what is going on. I can close my eyes and picture it in my head. I can feel the music in my soul. Music can bring tears to my eyes or slap a smile on my face. There is something for everyone and I just cannot shake this feeling of making my own music. 

What if the playlist for my life was made up of all original songs? What if yours was too? What would that look like? What would it sound like? What would it feel like? 

No comments:

Post a Comment