Saturday, September 28, 2013

Identity

What does identity mean to you? How do you identify?

If someone asked me to identify myself I would say...
I am a:
1. Woman
2. Christian
3. Mexican
4. Sister
5. Daughter
6. Writer

I could have a long list of ways that I identify but I guess the real question is why? Why do I identify as these things?

I am a woman - this is a huge statement. Now it's not the sex that you were born that dictates your gender identity. This is such a huge and interesting topic, but I won't go into it so much today. I just know that I identify as a woman and love the woman I have become.

I am a Christian - also a bold statement. This means that I have found and am following Christ. I am intentional about what I do and how I do it in order to express to others just how Christ loves me and how they deserve to be loved as well. This also means that I want to share this aspect of my life with everyone that I know and love!

I am Mexican - really I am mixed. I really am Mexican/Puerto Rican/Native American/American mut mix. I don't say that when someone asks me what my nationality is - I usually just say Hispanic or Mexican/Puerto Rican. It's difficult to get into all that mumbo jumbo when trying to describe it to someone. Also - most places I have ever lived identify me as not white - so that identification of others allowed me to make that decision a lot easier. So - I am a non Spanish speaking Mexican who didn't have a Quinceañera and who doesn't celebrate Cinco de Mayo... lol.

I am a Sister - to 9 siblings... eek! I know right... That's most people's reactions when they realize or hear that I have a large family. Then come the jokes about my parents or about me having a large family myself. Then there is always the questions that relate to where we lived or what religious background we have because obviously that all dictates how many children people have?! Whatever. I have lived my life caring for people. Being the example (always not the best but I do what I can) and trying to show them what they deserve and encourage them to know what they are worth! Life has not always been easy - so I have been the comforter, shoulder to cry on, supporter, etc. This is what I do.

I am a Daughter - again ... one of many. But, I know that I am also a supporter in this area of my life as well. I am the go to person to help out and the dependable one when support or help is needed. I am the one who is always there. But ... now they are moving and that won't be my role anymore. Even being the daughter has been difficult at times. Being respectful and loving has been difficult at times. Again - life has not always dealt the best hand and this causes stress and conflict. But, I hope that I am what is expected.

I am a writer - I love this! I am creative and trying to publish. I have so much to tell the world - I just have to figure out how to make this happen. I have published one book and am working on editing, reviewing, and possibly completely republishing with a new or different angle. This should be interesting - also working on something completely different at the same time.

I am who I am - and I am proud of it. I am beautiful, smart, caring, loving, confident, compassionate, etc. I do not say these things to sound conceited - I say them because I know who I am and I love who I am. I am not afraid or timid. I am not scared or afraid. I have come a long way - I know where I have been and I know where I am - this is a huge difference.

Can you identify yourself? Can you tell who you are? Are you proud of who you are? Do you love who you are?

How often do you identify with others but not know why?
How difficult is it for you to explain or describe who you are?
How hard is it for you to love yourself and who you have become?

It has taken me a long time to get here. It has taken me a long time to love myself and be okay with where I have been and how I have become who I am today. I know this is difficult for many people and so many people cannot even define their own identity.

Work on it. Know who you are. Know where you have been and where you are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment