Friday, September 6, 2013

Head vs Heart

Often we have this struggle - head vs heart. Which do we follow? Which do we listen to?

As a younger person I prized myself on being a person that followed my heart. On a whim I would make decisions and justify them because I was following my heart. Soon enough I realized this was not the way to go because my heart, over the years, has gotten me stuck in the mud and in a lot of bad situations.

How often do you sit and ask yourself if the decision you are about to make is a wise choice? Is it at all frequent? Or are you that person that follows your heart because it is fairy tale like and just makes you feel the best? How often do you consider what God has to say about things - or seek out the wisdom of another person - or even just sit back and think about the decisions you are making instead of chasing after that tug you feel on your heart and the direction you think it is leading you?

I know I have written about this struggle before, but I recently listened to Jeanne Stevens from Soul City Church speak on this topic.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

It is so very difficult to sit back and think about our hearts being deceitful, but then if you ponder on all the heart decisions you made and look where they have brought you - you will see that fruit of that. Sit back and think about all the decisions you have made with your head, the wise decisions. Look at where that has lead you and see the fruit of that. I can definitely speak for my experiences and say that I see more fruits of my labor in the wisdom category than in the heartfelt category.

What is a wise way choice or a my way choice? Have the decisions/choices I have made been what I want solely based on the flutters in my heart? Have the decisions/choices I have made been based on wisdom, solidarity, etc?

Ephesians 5:15-17 Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

I have been more careful in my decision making because I know what a heart choice will lead me toward. I know what a wise choice will lead me toward. Do you? Have you examined your life recently? Are the choices you making selfish or wise? Are they heartfelt? or thought out?

So often I have battled with what is the right or wrong decision in my life. I have questioned even after a decision was made whether it was the right one to make. But I think this is a great way to really sit back and think of those decisions before they are made. Are you making a "my way" choice - or are you making a "wise way" choice? Have you thought it out and sought counsel on it? Have you considered what the decision you make will do? How will it affect you and others you love?

From small things to big things... this is a great question to ask. I have thought long and hard about my life and I know that the wise choices to make are the best choices to make. They might not always be the easiest but they are definitely the most fruitful and rewarding.

Think on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment