Saturday, August 31, 2013

Humbled

lower (someone) in dignity - humiliate 
make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and self-respect, esp. publicly - embarrass or mortify

This past week I had a few instances where I was humbled. I was humiliated and embarrassed. It reminded me of 10 years ago when I was in high school and similar situations happened. 

How is it possible that I as a person can be so prideful that even when I fall I do not accept help getting up? 
How is it that I can be so self-centered not to keep an eye out for what is right in front of me? 
How can it be that I am too distracted to realize what I am doing as it is happening? 

Monday I was walking down the hallway at school - and then I was suddenly on the floor... Apparently there was water on the floor and I hadn't realized it. As I heard a girl passing by say water I was already on the floor before I could register what she was talking about. 

Humiliation humbles a person like nothing else can. I am reminded of my place. 

Ironic that I so quickly try to jump up and not allow anyone to assist - even though I'm hurting and am not even sure of my surroundings or if I'm okay. Far too mortified to stand around and let others bask in my embarrassment. I just walk quickly away before I start to realize the pain I am feeling- two days later I discover the debt in my computer from the fall - I've been struggling ever since just walking in general because I am pretty sure I bruised my hip. 

Even with all of that said - I cannot help but think about all the times in our lives that we are down, get knocked down, fall down... And we are so quick to jump back up and into things without even assessing ourselves, our surroundings, and the situation as a whole. 

The evidence of the fall sticks with us and slowly affects us over time; progressively getting worse. And yet we continue on forward, thinking that eventually the pain will just melt away. 

I know that I cannot do any of this on my own. Although I am quick to jump back up and continue trudging on, I am also quick to identify and assess the situation. See that I was wrong to jump back up and back in. I have to learn to humbly as for help- to acknowledge that there is something bigger - I have to lower myself to see what else there is. 

Often I find we are self focused - not observant enough of our surroundings and completely distracted. This leaves us vulnerable to falls, bumps, bruises through life. This is where the hard falls and learned lessons come into play. Until we humble ourselves we will not see the bigger picture; the greater mission.  

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. (1 Peter 5:6 NIV)

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)

All of this comes with first recognizing - when you are down - you need help up. When you are damaged you need time to heal. When you are humble - you will be lifted up and you will prosper. 

Why is being humble so hard? Why is it in our nature to want to be on top? To WANT to be in charge? To feel the NEED to be independent? To be so COMPETITIVE? How do we change? Where do we go from here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment