Sunday, August 11, 2013

drunken fireworks

Last night i went to the Hammond Marina to watch some fireworks.... first I watched the sun set and it was beautiful. Just to get a different perspective - a different view of the city and of life.


So beautiful it was to watch the sun set over the city from this view - out walking the pier and watching all the kids play and the people on their boats. It was just an interesting experience. But that experience obviously had to lead to the ultimate event which everyone was waiting for - the fireworks!


We chose our spot on the pier and sat/stood waited for over an hour for the fireworks to start. We wanted to have the best spot and the best view. We didn't want to have to stand around other people or look through trees. I didn't want to have to be stepped on or pushed by others trying to get that view they waited till the last minute to get. So we waited on the pier at our spot for over and hour, just standing there waiting... 

Now - if you know anything about me then you know how much I just love waiting... ugh! Really how much I hate waiting. But I was willing to wait in order to see the beautiful fireworks because I knew they would be worth it. 

Then the fireworks start! Right on time. A few blasts in a family comes over - mother, father, and a few children. The mom asks me if we can scooch over a little so her kids can sit and watch the fireworks. My heart went out to them and there was a little room - three little kids could fit, so I scooched over and said sure. 

Obviously.... this is where the real story begins.... 

She plops her butt down on the ground - her and the husband are obviously drunk - the dad is yelling and the kids are crying - so much for an awesome fireworks experience.... 
She keeps pushing toward me until she is literally sitting on top of my foot because she is trying to make me move over more - her husband is ashing his cigarette on his little girl and she is crying that her daddy is burning her... the mom is yelling at the kids to shut up and sit their asses down... 

My heart went out to the kids and I wanted them to have an awesome experience and be able to see the fireworks so I let them in, but obviously the mom was the one who wanted to sit, the kids didn't want to be their and both parents were too drunk to care. 

At one point the little girl wouldn't stop crying, the dad picked her up and attempted to give her a pep talk. He said to her that she would remember this day for the rest of her life - that going to fireworks was such a fun experience and her parents were the only ones who would ever bring her to places like this and that she should be having fun not crying about this. 

I thought to myself... ugh - don't judge... 

But really what I was thinking was... what she is going to remember is that you burnt her with the ashes of your cigarette, that you are a drunk, that she doesn't enjoy fireworks, that you keep screaming in her ear, and that as she gets older this will all get worse and more embarrassing. 

A friend was with me and he just observed this entire experience and pointed out that it was completely different to be sober and watching the drunk people.. 

I was scared to think about who was driving those little ones home. And even thinking about the future and where those babies would be in 10 years or more... 

I know that I come from a history of alcoholism and a family that holds alcoholic tendencies. There is a lot of alcohol in my past and I personally have struggled with that and others in my life have struggled with that, but recently I have made the choice to stop drinking because I observed what was happening in my life and in the life of those around me and I didn't want to see that anymore or see what that would turn into. 

I never want to be that parent  .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment